Well it’s just too crazy in the house today to complete a video sample of the AmpBrownie, but I was able to put together this audio sample. I simply booted up the Raspberry Pi and used jack_capture to record the mp3 that you are about to hear. No further processing, other than cutting out some parts to shorten the clip.
I am adjusting the sound with my Korg Nano Kontrol of course. It’s really sweet how I can dial in the settings in real time. I can’t wait to put that on video so you get the idea.
This sample is made with my Schector Diamond Series electric guitar, straight into the Behringer UCG102 USB interface, right into the RapsberyPi. That means this great sound is dern cheap.
I am moving along here and wanted to post my notes on how to easily record the output from the AmpBrownie to an mp3. It’s very straight forward actually. Once the unit is up and going and you can hear the output from it, we just need to tell Jack to record it for us:
sudo jack_capture -mp3 test.mp3
That will create example.mp3 right where you are standing. You even get to see a nifty little db meter while recording so you know that it hears you. Once the mp3 is created I just pulled it down to my desktop via scp and played it that way.
If you are getting buffer overruns and cracks in the audio, you might try outputting to a wav, which jack_capture will do by default. In that case just use:
It will automatically create the .wav file and increment the filename for you.
I just finished a short film which kept me occupied for the last few months. That gives me time to look back at the brownie to take things up a notch. My next task is to make a demo video on the existing Ampbrownie. Then maybe see if latest OS upgrades help things out.
You my friends have just witnessed the first every working release of the AmpBrownie! It’s alive and kicking. The aut0-start issue was a serious beast, but I found a way to hack it. Right now, the system works, and we will worry about making things pretty later on.
I have gotten it down to the last step. Right now everything installs just fine, sounds good, runs smooth and stable. The only remaining issue preventing me from releasing the first official version is the DERN STARTUP! AutoStatic kindly created the init.d script for Guitarix so it can be ran a service, but jackd needs to start before that, or else bad things happen. And….I can’t for the life of me start jackd at boot.
Some folks from Bixly gave me advice(try supervisord), so I will be trying that, hopefully tonight. My SD card busted though!